4 Ways To Reach Out With More Love
by: Michael Woods | June 19, 2017
Jesus loved people. He loved thieves, prostitutes, tax collectors, diseased people, poor people, children and His followers. He loved people who were devoted to Him and those who were different from Him. He even loved difficult and dangerous people.
And His love is the same today as it was 2,000 years ago.
Because we are loved by Him, we are called to love like Him. The extent to which we love one another validates and communicates our faith:
- “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 ESV
Here are four ways you can reach with more Christ-given love towards others.
1. You can show your love for God:
- “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” Mark 12:30
As you show our love for God, those around you will see you serve a loving God who also loves them.
2. You can show your love for each other:
- “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35
If you can’t even show those around you that you love other Christians, then why would they think you would love them?
3. You can show your love for those who are hostile towards you:
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?” Matt.5:43-46
This can be the hardest, but the most rewarding for you. If you can love those who don’t love you, you show the opposite of their condemnation.
4. You can show your love for the needy:
- “Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.” Gal.2:10
Giving and showing love to the needy is doing it without expecting anything in return. Instead of condemning them and telling them they are in need because of their own actions, you demonstrate your love by meeting their physical needs and clearly communicating the Gospel of grace.
Your turn! What are some other ways that we can show love towards others?