7 Creative Ways To Spend Time With God Today
by: Jared Wells | July 18, 2017
If you’re stuck in a spiritual rut, chances are you’ve tried the same formula for devotions and it’s just not helping you connect with God, it’s not moving the needle in your spiritual life. So, I’ve compiled 7 creative ways that people like you and I – can implement to help us spend that much-needed, wonderful, renewing time with God.
1. Take God Out For Coffee. Go to Starbucks, find a quiet corner, and meet with God. Don’t forget to take a pen, notebook, and your Bible! Be prepared not only to talk to God, but to listen to what He has to say and jot down important insights.
2. Kitchen Sink Study. Find yourself spending a fair amount of time in the kitchen? You can tack up Bible verses on the window sill, or at a similar convenient location. Meditate on them. Memorize them. Drink it in. Ask God to speak to you while you’re prepping, cooking, or cleaning.
3. Journey Thru Your Pictures. Go through old picture albums (or digital albums) and reflect on how God moved in different seasons of your life; think about people He used, conversations that drew you closer to Him, successes and failures, special events.
4. Put Feet To Your Faith. Prayer walking is a great way to get active in prayer and is as simple as it sounds – you pray as you walk. Try prayer walking thru your neighborhood, praying for the families as you walk past their homes.
5. Post Scripture Around Your House. You can write it on index cards or incorporate it into your decor. When you walk by, stop and read the verse a few times. Meditate and pray it.
6. Pray Through The Fruit. Pray thru the fruit of the Holy Spirit, one each week; ask God to cultivate that characteristic in you through specific events in your life that week (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control).
7. Tune In. Listen to podcasts or sermons while you’re driving to work, getting groceries, or working out.
Do you have any other “creative ideas” to suggest? I hope you’ll share them with us!